Visa E-3

By Tiara

The visa classification for international business is called an E-3 visa. This type of visa allows you to visit, work, or live in Canada as a consultant for up to one year at a time.

Visa holders under this category are also allowed to bring their dependents with them while they are in Canada. A dependent can be any relative that meets legal residency requirements in Canada.

This article will go into more detail about what things must be done when traveling with an E-3 visa holder. It will include information such as how much money should be carried, if and how many bags are needed, and more.

Who gets an E-3 visa?

visa e-3

An individual may be admitted to work in the United States as a nonimmigrant employee for a specific employer if there is a substantial job opportunity available to them when they depart from the U.S., or their employment here will contribute substantially to the successful operation of the business.

There are two main types of visas that provide eligibility for working in the U.S.: the F-1 Student and the B-2 Business visitor. Both require the applicant to have a valid passport, but only the student requires proof of education while the business traveler does not.

The second type of visa allows those traveling for business to apply for what’s called the “E-3” visa. This visa allows individuals up to six months within any one year period to perform essential employment services for the sponsoring employer in the U.S. — so you can see how very important that employer needs to be!

Getting this visa can take some time, so it’s best to begin preparing early. Luckily, our firm has run many students’ applications and we can help you get started too! We hope you enjoy reading these tips as much as I did writing them.

How do I get an E-3 visa?

The next step in acquiring an E-3 visa is to apply. There are two ways to apply for this visa, you can use your own personal resources or hire professional help.

The process of applying for an E-3 visa through USA Embassy’s website has been streamlined since it was first introduced. Applicants now go directly to the application form which makes the process much easier.

What does it cost?

visa e-3

As mentioned earlier, there are two main types of visa that allow you to work in Canada as a skilled worker. These are called Expression of Purpose (EOP) visas and Work Permit (WP) visas. The former is typically referred to as an “employment” visa while the latter is more commonly known as a “working holiday” visa.

With regards to employment visas, both the EOP and WP categories require you to pay a processing fee per person for your sponsorship. This can range from $1,000 – 2,500 depending on the country. After this initial payment, you will be given a receipt and then sent formal documents via mail or courier service which state that you have been sponsored by Canadian officials to live and work here.

These fees are not tax deductible but some sources say it’s worth it since most people don’t know what they’re paying for until after the fact.

When can I get an E-3 visa?

visa e-3

An individual may apply for employment authorization under the VISA (E) program if they have job offer(s) that are qualified as “immediate priority” or “skilled professional position.”

Immediate Priority means to start work within one year of being granted entry into Canada. For example, you could come to Canada to work as a dentist right after graduation.

Skilled Professional Position requires two years of full time study in either elementary school teaching, medical practice, business administration, information technology, engineering, architecture, law, etc. These positions require at least 2 years of schooling before coming to Canada to live here.

It is important to note that employers cannot use the term Masters Degree or Doctorate degree when applying for this type of immigration status. They must describe their educational background in depth using appropriate terminology such as Bachelor’s Degree, Diploma,or Certificate.

What are the requirements?

visa e-3

The second visa option is for those who have an Employment VISA (E-1) or Student Visas (B-2, B-3). To be eligible to apply for this new Visa, you must meet two criteria: You must live in a country that meets the Tier 1 Criteria for Canada and you must prove your employment will last at least six months.

Since most employers require a job offer prior to hiring, it can be tricky to show proof of employment while living outside of North America. That’s why there’s another way to gain Canadian residency – by investing in business investments!

Business owners typically invest money in companies they believe in, which sometimes includes making an investment in employees. By investing in their future, these professionals develop trust in the company, and thus, need no formal offers before being hired. This kind of loyalty can help create strong relationships that lead to more opportunities later on.

Investing in businesses comes with its own set of rules and regulations. As such, we would like to share some tips on how to best prepare yourself to be successful when investing in businesses.

Can I transfer my visa?

visa e-3

It is possible to apply for permission to work in Canada as an experienced professional (EP) or skilled worker (SP). This can be done at any time, even while you are already living here!

You cannot change your status from EP or SP to non-skilled worker (NSW), caregiver (CG) or independent contractor (IC) unless you have Canadian permanent resident status. If you do have PR, you may instead opt to become a CG or IC if you qualify.

However, under special circumstances, it is possible to reclassify yourself from an EP to NSW, CG or IC. To find out more about this, see our article: How to Become A Non-Skilled Worker In Canada.

If you would like to remain in Canada as an employee or consultant after May 3rd, you will need to make arrangements well ahead of time. You should start looking into options no later than six months before your current working permit expires.

What are the consequences of getting an E-3 visa?

visa e-3

The main consequence is that you will be allowed to live in the United States for three months. During this time, your residence must be verifiable with proof of employment or business.

You also have to prove that you can spend these three months outside of work by having two proofs of transportation (car, bus, train) or money to stay at a hotel.

It’s important to note that if you don’t have proof of employment during your stay, you could be deported even after staying in America. This would obviously not go well for you or your family!

Another thing to consider is what happens when you return home. If you decide to remain in the country after your 90 day visit expires, it will be much more difficult because most likely you won’t have any kind of visa.

What are the alternatives to an E-3 visa?

visa e-3

Being able to work in the United States is one of the most important things for international students. Unfortunately, there are some countries where you can’t work at all while studying here so it is very important to know what options exist if E-3 visas aren’t available to you.

There are 2 main types of non-E-3 visa that allow you to study in America: F1 and J-1 visa. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, but none compare to being able to work in the US while enrolled in school.

The good news is that since both depend on your employer sponsoring you, there are ways to make sure this doesn’t pose too much of a problem. Sometimes though, no matter how hard you try or who helps out, you just don’t meet the requirements!

In these cases, you will need to look into other opportunities outside of the formal system. There may be local universities that offer scholarships or jobs to foreigners, or even private schools that don’t require academic qualifications but instead focus more on giving learners experiences. All these could help you get through college without having to find another country to live in.