P-3 Visas

By Tiara

The personal/visa type of work permit is called a P-3 visa. These are typically referred to as “business” or “non-immigrant” visas, depending on whether your business is for profit or not. If it's for a company that makes money, then this visa category hass been replaced with what is known as the E2 visa!

Business people need these types of permits to visit America on short term trips. They must have an approved business plan, proof of sufficient funds to run their business while in the United States, and confirmation they will return home after the trip.

There are some similarities between the P-3 and F1 visa categories but there are also important differences. For example, you can only stay on a P-3 for up to one year at a time whereas individuals on an F1 visa may enter and exit the country indefinitely.

Who gets a P3 visa?

A personal business trip or vacation is not your everyday occurrence. If you are thinking about taking time off to travel, make sure it’s for a good reason and that you have enough money to stay somewhere while you explore other parts of the world.

If you do plan to take an extended break, there is a document called a “P-visa”or a “Business Travel Visa”that can help you start your journey towards internationalization. A Business Travel Visa allows you to live and work in another country for up to one year.

This type of visa is granted to individuals who will be traveling for professional reasons and setting up residence and employment in another country is part of their job.

The documents you need depend on where you want to go and what kind of working permission you already have. Some employers require employees to hold both a Working Holiday Visa (WHV) and then apply for a Work Permit (working permit), whereas others only ask for the WHV first. It all depends on how your employer runs its operations!

What makes this type of visa very expensive is the additional fees related to the visa itself as well as any flights or accommodations you will need outside of the countries in which you reside currently. The cost varies from nation to nation so check out our article on How To Save On International Flights before looking into visas.

How can I get a P3 visa?

A personal business trip or vacation is not your average every day activity. Therefore, it is important to make sure that you have enough time after your visit to return home and/or stay in the country. If you do not, you could run into trouble when returning to the United States.

A practical way to handle this situation is to use a personal travel document known as a “P-3 Visa”. A P-3 visa does not require you to live abroad while you are there, which makes it more feasible than other types of visas where traveling with proof of departure and return back home is tricky.

There are several different types of P-3 visas depending on what you will be doing during your trip. For example, if you are attending an event such as a conference, trade show, or seminar, then you would need to apply for a Business Traveler's Visa. Applications for these typically start at $150 and go up from there!

Your embassy will determine whether you qualify for a BVISA based on their own guidelines so it is best to do some research before applying.

How long do P3 visas last?

The short answer to this question is never! A longer answer is just over one year!
The longer version: Due to how expensive it can be for employers to retain foreign talent, most companies cannot afford to keep hiring new employees every six months- at least not without investing in more efficient recruitment strategies or subsidies that include salary, benefits, and/or living expenses.

This is especially true now since most people are staying home and working from home due to the coronavirus. With fewer job opportunities available, workers are becoming increasingly difficult to find. This makes it even harder for employers to recruit effectively and stay competitive in their field.

In fact, there was a time when almost no one had work because of a lack of qualified candidates. Now, with millions of unemployed Americans, finding talented professionals has become much easier.

It’s important to note that while most countries offer some sort of visa program for professional employment, none require you to have an employer sponsoring you for a Work Permit (P1) or Permanent Residency Visa (P2). That means you could still be deported if you are found to be lying about your intentions after landing here as a tourist.

So before applying for any kind of work permit, make sure you understand what rights you will have as a resident and whether your plans are truly permanent.

Can I get a P3 visa if I live in China?

If you are living in China as of September 14, 2020 at least, then you do not need to worry about getting a P3 visa. You can stay in China without problem!

If your situation changes and you must leave China or have to travel for more than 30 days outside of the country, you can apply for a new entry visa (or E-Visa). This is much easier to obtain than a P3 Visa which requires staying in hotels with a close exit route and proof that you will be returning soon.

To ensure that you’re able to return, many airlines require one week’s notice before they grant someone their boarding pass. This makes it very difficult to depart when traveling for business or vacation because you don’t know how long you’ll be away until you book flights.

What are the requirements for a P3 visa?

A dependent (or ‘P’) student can apply to live and study in Australia as your dependant if they meet the following criteria:

They must be 18 years or older

They must have their own passport that is valid for at least six months after their expected arrival in Australia

They must reside in a country where there is no restriction on working while studying here

They cannot be married, engaged or in a de-facto relationship with you

You must consent to this as an Australian resident

It’s important to note that even though they’re not living in Australia yet, they will still need to register with Centrelink and prove their income. This is because it’s possible they could earn money during their studies.

If they don’t then we would have to repatriate them which means sending them home! So make sure everything is totally clear before you say yes.

What are not the requirements for a P3 visa?

Being able to prove you have enough money to come back home is not a requirement for a P3 visa. You do not need proof of savings, as long as your employer can send you airfare back to Australia.

If this doesn’t happen then it’s up to your employers discretion whether they will grant you another six months or one year at most in Canada depending on if they feel like you won’t return.

A second job that pays well can sometimes cover these costs so make sure to look into those before applying for the visa!

Another option would be living with a friend but only if their roommate is willing to give you a roomate free ticket and/or help paying rent.

What are the costs for a P3 visa?

There is an additional cost associated with having a dependent child while on a working holiday visa in Australia. This cost is typically referred to as the Dependent Children Visa (P3) or alternatively, the Working Holiday VISA Card.

The fee for this card is $200 per year ($100 per annum), payable directly onto your credit card at time of entry into Australia.

This can be done either via direct payment methods such as Mastercard or Visa, through Australian banks that offer international banking services, or online payments sites like PayPal.

It’s important to note that it will say ‘Working Holiday Visa’ on the front of the card, not just ‘Dependent Child Visa’.

What are the implications of a P3 visa?

Having a dependent child under the age of 18 can have some serious repercussions if you decide to move abroad. A dependent child means someone that is legally obligated to bring you back home if you’re traveling for more than six months.

This includes spouses, significant others, parents, siblings or guardians. If these people don't know your plans or whether you'll be returning they may feel uncomfortable waiting around for you to return.

It also creates stress for them when they expect to hear from you but you never do. This can cause additional anxiety or even depression depending on their level of commitment to you.

If this is the case then it's very likely that they will begin looking for a new life partner or spouse which could prove difficult at times. It also makes things hard as they try to maintain relationships that they already have.

The person seeking the visa must indicate his/her plan to remain in Australia beyond the initial 6 month period and tell immigration what country he/she intends to visit.