P-3 Visa

By Tiara

A nonimmigrant visa (also called an alien registration card) is given to individuals who intend to stay in the United States for less than one year. These visas are categorized as either business or pleasure, depending on the purpose of the individual’s visit.

Business travelers use a p-visa to meet with employees of an employer. They may also need a working visa if they will be doing any kind of work while here.

Pleasure visitors can choose from tourist visas that allow them to enter the country for no longer than six months, student visas for those seeking higher education, research scientist visas for scientists conducting scientific studies, and cultural exchange visas for people wishing to learn more about America.

There is one other type of visa available to immigrants looking to live in the U.S.: The F-1 Student VISA!

These visas are only issued to students enrolled full time in a university, college or professional training program. Beyond tuition and fees, there is not much else required to qualify you as a student.

Who can get a P-3 visa?

p-3 visa

The term ‘P-3’ is short for professional nonimmigrant (or immigrant) status under Section 213 of the Immigration and Nationality Act. This includes individuals with significant business or employment ties to the United States.

People qualify if they will be working in an executive, managerial, or similar position within their field. They must also have at least 1 year of work experience in their profession after May 19, 1990 — one full year from when this rule was put into effect.

The qualifying job must be in the same field as the employee being sponsored by a U.S. employer. For example, if a company seeks to sponsor an engineer, that individual must currently hold an engineering license or be enrolled in an Engineering program at a college or university.

You may be able to find more information about whether your career fits the qualifications for a P-3 visa here. If it does, you would need to determine what documents you’ll need to present to prove them.

How can I get a P-3 visa?

p-3 visa

Being able to come into the United States for a short amount of time is quite easy if you are an experienced traveler or working in the field that most easily translates into a degree or professional license.

For example, someone with a bachelor’s degree in medicine could easily apply for what is known as a F1 visa (for physicians) which allows them to enter for two years with a one year renewalship.

These visas are very straightforward and require little more than proof of your education and employment along with a few documents proving your identity and health insurance.

However, there is another type of nonimmigrant visa available to skilled workers who do not fall under this category but are still needed by the US economy – the P-3 visa.

What makes a person eligible for a P-3 visa depends mostly on the job they want to work in and the country they are applying from. Many countries have their own set of rules about how many people their immigration system can handle so make sure to research yours before applications!

Since we are talking about traveling here, it is important to know that while everyone is allowed to stay in America for only 90 days, individuals on a P-3 visa cannot take paid jobs outside of the allotted time unless they have extended permission. More information on this can be found here.

What does this mean?

A work permit that allows you to live and work in the United States for no longer than 2 years at a time is a P-3 visa. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) issues these visas, so it makes sense to know what some of the other departments are doing!

In fact, most federal agencies require an employee to have a valid non-P-3 visa before they can be officially hired. This way, employers are made aware of any undocumented workers before employment takes place, which helps prevent fraud or illegal hiring practices.

The length of stay on a P-3 visa depends on whether the individual holding the visa has a job waiting for them when they leave America. If they do, then their stay will be much shorter – usually around one month. However, if they don’t there may be trouble finding willing employees since most American companies check employment documents before offering a position.

Am I eligible?

p-3 visa

Being able to work in the United States is one of the most important things for international students. A visa that allows you to live, study and work here is called a non-immigrant visa.

A student or teacher visiting the US on a F1 visa can only stay for an amount of time determined when they enter the country, so it’s very common for teachers to remain in the US longer than their initial visa says they are allowed to be.

That’s why many universities have arrangements where some staff don’t need to apply for a new visa but can instead extend their existing working holiday visa. These extensions aren’t any more expensive than applying for a new visa so it all evens out in the end!

So how do we know if you’re eligible for this extension? There’s no foolproof way to check unless your department has done this before, but there are two main factors. First, make sure your passport doesn’t expire during your extended visit, and second, look at your employment contract.

If either of those items isn’t clear cut then you should speak to someone in your department about whether you’re eligible or not. We recommend talking to as few people as possible until you get confirmation one way or another because there may be times when individual circumstances mean some people feel less comfortable giving you advice.

How long does it take?

p-3 visa

It takes about two weeks to get your visa approved. This is really only one week if you live close to an embassy or consulate, but the other day is for you to come in and visit.

It’s very important that you don’t arrive at the airport earlier than necessary because there are not many things you can do before you enter the country. You can’t work while on this visa, so you have to be sure you will be back home soon!

After leaving the country, you have to wait another week until you can reenter America due to the length of time it takes to process your return flight. Make sure to check out all of your departure times well in advance as some may change when you book your trip transfer.

If anything goes wrong during your stay, you could be stuck in the country with no way to escape! The people working at embassies and consulates are professionals who know what to look for and how to help others, make them feel welcome.

What are the requirements?

p-3 visa

To qualify for this visa, you must be working in an executive position or as a manager. You also have to make at least $100,000 per year (or $250,000 per two years) and live in the US.

You will need to show that you have enough money to support yourself while you’re living here. Make sure to include all of your monthly bills, including rent or house payments, utilities, cell phone bill, etc in your calculations.

It is very common to put off buying new furniture until later because of this large expense, so be aware of how much money you have going into the next six months.

You can still apply for this visa if you don’t make more than $80,000 per year but it may limit your career opportunities.

What are some reasons I should get a P-3 visa?

p-3 visa

Being able to work in Canada with only a P-3 visa is not easy, so you have to be careful about what jobs you apply for. The Canadian Immigration Department reviews your applications very carefully, as they want to make sure that no one will take advantage of our great country!

There are many more opportunities available to employers who hire individuals on a working visas than there are workers eligible for such a visa. This can lead to lower employment rates among Canadians without visas, and higher salaries for those employees who are allowed to stay.

This isn’t always the case, however. Some immigrants may find it hard to come into Canada because they cannot afford to live here or pursue professional goals. A lot of times, immigrants feel like their government does not care much about them, which is why there is a growing number of people moving abroad every year.

What are some reasons I should not get a P-3 visa?

p-3 visa

One of the most important things to consider before getting a P-3 visa is if you will be able to live and work in Canada once you have arrived. If you cannot, it could put additional pressure on your relationships or job opportunities.

A non-refugee claimant can only stay in Canada for three years. This time frame may seem long, but it is enough time to establish yourself here. Many people do this within one year!

If you must travel outside of Canada during that period, make sure you have adequate proof of an appropriate return flight back home as well as confirmation that you will have a place to sleep each night while you’re away from family and friends.