L3 Visa Requirements

By Tiara

Visas are a visa requirement for all non-immigrant (for work) status in Canada. Only citizens of certain countries are not required to have a visa, but even they must apply for permission before coming to live here.

Canada has five levels of visas. The most common is the Tourist Visa which allows up to one year stay with proof of an itinerary. Two other types of short term visas include Business or Work VISA’S and Cultural Exchange VISAS.

Business class visas require you to be engaged in business activities for at least six months, while cultural exchange visas only allow for two months. There is also the Permanent Resident Visa which gives full citizenship to your family members if they join you here.

The third level visa is the Working Holiday Maker (WHM) visa that can be applied for within twelve months of arrival. It is mostly used by young people traveling around Australia during winter so they can enjoy the beach!

Level three is called the Temporary Residence Visa (TRV). This is the longest duration visa and it requires those applying to prove their intention to remain in Canada as a resident for longer than just a few years.

This article will talk about what kind of documents need to be presented when seeking this more serious TRV and how to prepare yours.

Who is eligible to apply for a L1 visa?

An individual is not able to apply for a L1 visa unless they are already living in Australia as an Australian resident or have been granted permanent residency here.

If you are still residing overseas, your home country must be able to issue you with a temporary entry permit (known as a tourist visa) that allows you to enter Australia for a specific amount of time. This can range from 3 months to 1 year!

Once this period has expired, you will need to reapply for either a visitor’s visa or an employment visa.

Who is eligible to apply for an L2 visa?

An individual is not able to apply for an L2 visa if they are currently residing in, or have ever resided in Israel as a citizen or with diplomatic status.

Individuals who fall into this category include Israeli nationals, Jewish individuals of any nationality (including those who were born to Israeli parents), and people who were raised culturally as Jews but identify as something else (for example, Christian).

These restrictions do not apply to applicants who immigrated to Israel after April 1, 2001. Applicants who immigrate to Israel before that date will be required to live outside of Jerusalem’s municipal boundaries for at least six months while their application is being processed.

After living in Israel for six months, you can reapply to enter under the L2 visa program.

Who is eligible to apply for an L3 visa?

An individual is not able to come to Australia as an L3 visitor unless they have held, or are currently holding, a valid passport that allows them to travel directly to your country.

This document must be at least six months old and active for a minimum of two years beyond your intended stay in Australia. If you do not have this documentation then you will need to get it before applying for the visa.

It is also important to know what countries are considered safe for travellers by the Australian Government.

What are the requirements for each of the L1, L2, and L3 visas?

The third level visa is called an F-1 or Student Visitor VISA. This requires that you as the student be enrolled in a degree program at a school that has been approved to accept international students.

You must also have a valid passport and proof of sufficient funds to support yourself while studying here. Your documents must show your identity, where you live, and how long you will be staying in the country.

We can help you find the right study visa for you! Contact us today to schedule your free consultation.

What are the consequences of violating L1, L2, or L3 visa requirements?

If you violate any of these employment eligibility requirements, your employer can revoke your work authorization and repatriate you. This will typically happen within 24-48 hours depending on how serious the violation is.

If an employee has to return home because they violated one of our three rules, we have a mandatory 90 day leave without pay policy. That way if someone needs time to process their departure, it’s not business as usual for them while they’re away.

This also gives people the chance to find other employment during that period. It helps them reenter the workforce more easily and provides some level of support during this difficult time.

In addition to the above penalties, employers may face legal action from immigration officials and/or attorneys.

What are the alternatives to violating L1, L2, or L3 visa requirements?

Being able as per regulations, employers can sponsor workers for employment in the U.S. under what is called the H-1B nonimmigrant status. This typically lasts for up to six months and must be renewed every year.

There are some limitations to this option though. For one, there’s a total annual cap of 65,000 new visas set aside exclusively for such professionals. Plus, only individuals with appropriate degrees and professional certifications may apply.

Another alternative is to hire an employee who is already qualified and working in the United States on another visa (most likely F/J-1). They can then transfer their existing work authorization to your company and you can add them to your payroll.

This way, you don’t run into the quota issues that an H-1B does, but it also doesn’t give you complete control over the individual. You can’t ensure they will stay in their position for the specified amount of time, nor can you require they take specific vacations or days off.

What should you tell your parents about your visa?

Even though you have everything ready, you do not need to actually discuss your visa with your parent(s) until they ask if you have one!

Most likely, their first question will be something like “have you talked to Suzie about this yet?” or “Has Susan heard anything from Beth recently?” If you are all prepared for when that happens then you can relax a little bit!

By having all of your materials in order, it will help you feel more relaxed as the day approaches. You will also have some time to prepare yourself for what may happen.

If there is any kind of reaction other than what you expect, try to remain calm and rational. This will show them that you take this matter seriously and you are willing to go through the appropriate steps.

We recommend talking things out with both your parents and guardians before going into much detail, especially since they might want to talk to each other.

What should you tell your friends?

The next level of visa is called an L2 work visa. An L2 worker can live and work in Canada for up to two years, with no time restrictions as an experienced resident.

After that two-year period, employers must apply for permission to hire the individual as an immediate employer. This process can be quite bureaucratic so it’s best to know what information you need well ahead of time!

It's very important to remember that even if you have the appropriate documents, you will still not be allowed into Canada if you do not have valid travel documentation or are unable to prove employment eligibility.