G-3 Visa

By Tiara

A recent change to the visa rules for skilled workers means that it is now possible to work in Australia as a professional cook or chef! The new Australian visas known as ‘G3 Visas’ will allow you to live, train and work here.

This article will give you all the information you need to know about what makes this visa different from other working visas and how to apply. We will also talk you through some of the pros and cons of applying under these new regulations.

If you are already practicing your craft as a professional chef and would like to expand your career by moving abroad, read on to find out more about becoming an eligible worker. But first, let us have a look at why this new visa is so attractive.

Why is being able to work as a professional cook such a hot topic?

Australia has one of the highest rates of obesity in the world. This health epidemic is not only harmful to our overall well-being but can be disastrous for our healthcare system too.

The rising cost of medical bills due to weight related illnesses is a major concern for governments worldwide. Many countries offer incentives to professionals who want to work in their kitchens or restaurants.

These rewards include work permits, residency status, or even full citizenship. So if you are passionate about food and cooking, this may be the opportunity you have been waiting for.

Who can get a G3 visa?

A globalized student or educator can apply for a G3 visa if they are an advanced degree candidate, have a full-time job, and will live in a country that accepts students or educators with non-working visas.

Typically, this is only possible for people living in Canada, Australia, and some European countries. The United States does not offer such opportunities at this time unless you already have working rights in another country! This makes it very difficult to come back and forth from America frequently because you cannot stay longer than six months without having to reapply for a work permit.

If your goal is to spend most of the year outside of North America, then applying for a G3 visa may be more practical.

How does the process work?

The second way to obtain a visa for Canada is through the Global Entry Program. Companies that are part of this program must be certified by US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) as requiring less than $1 million in annual revenue or having fewer than 10 employees.

Once this has been verified, you can apply directly with Citizenship and Immigration Canada (ICI), the federal department that handles immigration to Canada. You will need to show proof of sufficient income, health insurance coverage, and accommodation in Canada.

Applicants under 18 years old may also require parental consent. Once these things have been confirmed, applicants are invited to come back for their final interview. This usually takes place within one month of being approved for residency in Canada.

During your stay, it’s very important to understand how Canadian taxation works. It is not like what happens in the United States where every state has its own tax laws. In fact, there is only one set of taxes in Canada — the Federal Government!

This means you will have to report all your earnings, including any salaries you earn from working abroad, back home in America. What people often forget about is the difference between personal and foreign income.

Personal income includes anything such as wages, interest payments, and capital gains. Foreign income, however, is defined slightly differently and depends on where you live.

What are the requirements?

The second most important thing to know about the G3 visa is what you need to have. You will need to show that you have at least a bachelor’s degree or higher, and must be able to prove your ability to pay for yourself in the United States.

In addition to these basic qualifications, here’s something very important to note – the Department of State requires proof that you can find employment outside of the country. This means either through an employer with a letter of recommendation or through past job experiences.

It’s also important to remember that if you are traveling for less than six months, then there is no requirement for employment beyond the one year limit. For longer trips, you will need to make sure you have proof of adequate income.

When can I apply?

If you are an eligible professional (EP) with a job offer in place, or have proof of sufficient income to support yourself while you pursue your EP status, you can begin applying for a VISA!

G3 visas allow qualified professionals from outside of Canada to work here for up to three years. You must be sponsored by a Canadian employer and reside in Canada at the time of application.

You will need to show that you have adequate financial resources to meet your living expenses during your stay in Canada as well as return airfare if you live abroad after your employment has ended.

Applications for G3 Visas are accepted year-round so make sure to get yours done early to ensure success! To learn more about working in Canada as an international representative, visit our How to Work In Canada As An International Representative guide. It contains helpful information such as benefits, tax requirements, and more.

Who can I ask for help?

Ask your employer if it offers any kind of professional development or educational opportunities. If they have such an opportunity, you should take advantage of it!

Companies are increasingly offering education and career services to their employees. This is very important because it gives you a way to advance your career while still being paid well.

Many employers offer courses through community colleges, university vocational programs or online education sites like Udemy and Skillshare. It may even be free if the company cares enough about you to invest in your future growth.

You could also visit local offices during business hours to see whether anyone there would know of anything helpful that was offered at your workplace. The chances are good that someone else has received this benefit before!

If all these attempts fail, ask around yourself – other people who work for the same organization might know more about the EDD program. You’d be surprised how many workers don’t use all of the benefits available to them.

What happens after I apply?

After you have completed all of your application forms, you will need to do something else — wait! You can now begin waiting for a response from the US Embassy in Bangkok or Consulate General in Chiang Mai. Depending on how many applications you have, it could take several days or even weeks before you hear back about whether or not you were granted a F2 visa.

It’s very important that you don’t make any travel plans until you know if you’ve been given permission to enter the United States!

While most people are able to confirm if they have received their visas within two months, it is unfortunately possible to be waiting much longer than this. It takes time to process every piece of paper involved, so remember to give yourself some slack and stay organized.

If you feel like you’re being made to waste your time, there are sometimes things you can do to help speed up the process. The best way to find out what these are is by talking with other individuals who have applied using the same website as you.

We recommend applying through SmartVisa, an independent company that specializes in helping foreigners get American jobs. They can usually tell you which steps must be done directly from the US government, and what documents you will be sent via email.

Can I get a visa if I overstay my visa?

If you are traveling with a valid, limited term tourist visa and stay longer than your permitted time, you can be issued an additional entry visa for one year, two years or even three years! This is called a ‘G3’ visa (General Three Year) and must be used within ninety days of it expiring.

You will be asked to explain why your current visa has expired and whether you intend to remain in Australia beyond its allowed period. The length of time that you want to stay in Australia after your initial visit depends on how long you plan to spend here. It may depend on what jobs you have found and where you live.

If you do not have any job offers or homes ready then a shorter six month visa would be appropriate.

When should I apply?

If you are an eligible professional (EP) with a valid, active E-2 visa, then it is not necessary to reapply for employment in the United States. You can remain here as long as you maintain your status!

If you are traveling outside of the country during your current stay or within six months of expiration, you do need to reenter the US before applying for a new work visa.

Otherwise, if you plan to stay longer than six months after your current visit expires, you must renew your visa by submitting additional documents and information. This process can be time consuming depending on how quickly employers receive mail.

We recommend that professionals have their immigration paperwork organized and easily accessible so they do not miss any important dates.