C Visas

By Tiara

A lot of people are not aware that there is a second kind of visa for international students. This type of visa is known as a “study” or “research” Visa (CV). Students can apply for this visa if they want to stay in the country longer than the normal work visa.

Most colleges offer at least one student who has their own personal CV. These individuals usually do research, teach courses, or both during the academic year. Some even have special status such as visiting scholars!

In some cases, these professionals may need an extension on their existing non-immigrant visas. In other words, they might need to know how to extend their visit beyond the original length.

There are two types of extensions available for study/work visas. One is called a Non-Immigrant Status Extension and the other is a Short Term Visit Extenion. Both require you to file extra documents and prove your intention to return home.

Who can get a C visa?

c visas

A work authorization letter (or “work permit”) is one way to obtain a non-immigrant status for your student or tourist visa. This document allows you to work while in the country, so it must be valid and proof of permission to work in Canada.

A Canadian permanent resident (PR) card makes you eligible to apply for a Work Permit. If this is not available then an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) will have to be obtained instead. Both are similar but not interchangeable.

An EAD cannot be used for working unless you first receive a Permanent Resident Card from Immigration, Health & Citizenship Canada. Only some professions are authorized to issue employment letters, check out our list here.

The process to get both documents requires going through many steps that include submitting applications, paying fees, waiting for responses and more.

How can I get a C visa?

c visas

An additional non-immigrant status for employment in the United States is known as a “conditional resident” or “C” visa. A person may apply for this type of visa if they are able to prove that they will be leaving the country soon after their job has ended, and returning home is more likely than staying in America long term.

Typically employers look for one year of work experience under your new (or current) employer before you can apply for this visa. You must also have proof of adequate funds to stay in America while you wait out your visa expiration.

If you already have an F1 Visa and need to renew it, then you do not qualify for a C visa because you would not meet the conditions of leaving immediately and returning home. Check our article about how to re-enter the US with an F1 Visa to see what kind of documents you need to present when you return.

What does it mean if I get a C visa?

c visas

A C visa is for short-term visits in Canada. As with any international visit, there are some extra documents you must have to prove who you are and what your purpose of being here is.

A C1 Visa allows up to six months for business or tourism purposes. If you need longer than six months in Canada, you will probably want at least a B2 Visa (for research or study) or an F1 Visa (work).

If your trip has come to an end and you’re waiting around for your next step, you can stay in Canada as long as you have enough money to support yourself while you look for work or training elsewhere.

What are the consequences of getting a C visa?

c visas

As mentioned before, if you have a criminal record in Canada or another country where your passport has been revoked, you will not be eligible for a Canadian work visa. You also cannot enter Canada as an immigrant unless your permanent residency is guaranteed.

If you come into contact with law enforcement while on a non-work visa in Canada, you may face deportation back to your home country!

Getting a second work visa can take months, even years depending on how long it takes immigration to review your application. During this time, you cannot live in Canada nor use any form of transportation (buses, trains, etc.). This includes when you travel for business purposes.

You should make sure that your personal life isn’t involved in any illegal activity. A lot of employers check credit reports so don’t put yourself in a situation where you could be exposed.

Should I get a C visa?

c visas

Having a child can make your life very busy, which is why it is important to have enough time off work for parenting. If you feel that you do not have this opportunity then it may be difficult to contemplate having children.

A common option in such cases is adopting a baby or toddler. An adoption agency will usually assist with fees and costs of living while you are looking after the child. This way you do not need to search for a new job immediately as they handle all of that!

There is an additional cost associated with applying for citizenship for your adopted child. This applies if you are already citizens and want to apply as parents, therefore it is best to evaluate whether being a parent is for you both before starting the process.

What if I get a C visa and then go to a consulate?

c visas

Another possibility is that you could apply for what’s called a F1 Visa at an embassy or consulate in your home country, and then come back to America on this visa.

This way you would not need a US passport or work authorization documents from your employer in America. You would only have to tell them that you are visiting for personal reasons. They will ask about your plans after your stay in the United States is over but it’s okay to say that you plan on returning to your home country because you don’t live there anymore.

There are some differences between B visas and C visas. With a B visa you must return to the airport where you left off traveling, so make sure you have someone pick you up there. A C visa doesn’t require you to return to any place, however, you should still be prepared to do so if asked. Some consulates may require proof of money to finance your trip while you are in the U.S., which can be tricky if you don’t have much saved up.

What if I get a C visa and then go to the embassy?

c visas

A second, more common way to use a VISA is to enter with an extended stay visa. These are called “C” or business visas. You would come into the country as a visitor for a specific amount of time (usually one year) and then you would apply at your nearest consulate for a longer-term Visa.

The process for getting this type of visa is similar to what we discussed before for B1/B2 visas. You must show that you have enough money to support yourself while in the United States, and prove that you will leave within six months.

You also need to establish whether you have a place to live while here. If you do not, you should consider finding accommodation now so that it does not affect your ability to remain in the US after your visit expires.

Will I get the C visa?

c visas

Even if you have a job offer, there is still a chance that you will not be able to come to America due to your lack of a visa or insufficient proof of employment. Employers check criminal records, credit reports, and other documents so make sure you are aware of these and have adequate proofs ready!

Many employers also run background checks which could reveal a visa status for either yourself or someone close to you. This includes checking social media profiles like Facebook and Twitter as well as looking at past emails.

In some cases, it’s difficult to prove employment beyond the word of the employer alone so gathering as many documents as possible is important. Make sure to gather copies of pay stubs, receipts, memos, and anything else that can back up the claim.